Ms. Doris Hankins is a Bay Area native, a wife of 23 years, and mother of three wonderful children. With the assistance of Merritt’s Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS) and Disabled Services Program (DSP) faculty and staff, she able to complete her Associates of Art degree in Liberal Arts (2002) and an Associates of Science degree in Social and Behavioral Science and a Certificate of Achievement in Child Development (2006). She’s also received her Bachelors of Arts Degree in Organizational Management from Ashford University (2010) and a Masters of Art Degree in Business Communications from Jones International University (2014).
Doris is a Merritt College alumnus and served as the Phi Theta Kappa President for 3 years (2001-2003) and was awarded the All USA Award (2002). In addition, she has worked at Merritt College for over 18 years. Her job titles have included Sr. Clerical Assistant to the President, Staff Assistant to the Vice President of Instruction, Project Manager/California Career Pathways Trust (CCPT), Employment Services, Project Manager/ Basic Skills Student Outcomes and Transformation and Guided Pathways, Program Manager/Next UP/CAFYES (Cooperating Agencies Foster Youth Educational Support) and Interim Curriculum and Assessment Specialist. In addition, Doris serves as the Merritt College Classified Senate President
During her tenure, she received numerous awards, which includes the State of California’s Board of Governors Award for the Community Colleges and the Chancellor’s Office-Classified Employee of the Year (2012), and the Merritt College-Classified Employee of the Year (2013).
Doris’ passion for supporting student success and community engagement grew and caused her to assume more leadership roles after graduating from the Chancellor’s Leadership Succession Cohort. Such as…
- President, Vice President, Treasure, and Senator of the Classified Senate (2010-present)
- Member of the President’s Leadership Team (2013-present),
- Co-Chair of the Annual Awards Achievement Committee (2015-present),
- College Council Chair (2013-2015) and Co-Chair (2011-2012, present),
- Peralta African American Association, Vice President of Membership (2013–present),
- Peralta Community College District Classified Senate, Senator (2012-present),
- Management Development Leadership Academy Peralta graduate (2017-2018)
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Task Force (2012-present), and
- Merritt Accreditation Steering Committee Member (2011-present)… Just to name a few!
Doris’ committee involvements have included the following:
- Professional Development,
- Student Awards Committee,
- Graduation Committee,
- College Educational Master Planning Committee,
- District Educational Committee, and numerous hiring committees.
After work, Doris is an Entrepreneur and owner of Beyond Expectations (a Home Based Travel Agency). She mentors and trains new travel agents. Her volunteer activities have included cooking food for over 300 people within her local community and mentor youth in life skills and career development.
Needless to say, Doris Hankins is a skillfully dedicated, trustworthy, and hardworking woman.